Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sunset Photo Contest



The back inside cover of the January 2010 issue of Sunset Magazine announced a monthly photo contest. Each month will be a different theme. By the time I checked out the contest details on Flickr (under Sunset Viewmaster’s), the deadline passed for February’s theme, “Romantic Getaways”. March’s contest with the theme of “First Sign of Spring” was under way. Excitedly, I looked through my photos and found 7 photos worthy, in my opinion, of entering the contest. What could I lose? Nothing but the experience of entering a photo contest. The Lord knows, I might even win the $100 prize if one of my photos is chosen. The photos I entered were the actual natural shots with no editing (I have not worked much on my photo editing program).

My “First Signs of Spring” entries included these few photos.
In most any place on the West Coast, the daffodil always is the first flower to sprout and bloom after the New Year. The daffodils in my yard are only a week or two away from blooming. Daffodils are also known as the flower of hope. Hope that winter will not last forever and soon there will be warmer and brighter days.
Around the same time as the daffodils are starting to bloom, showing off their brilliant yellows, oranges and whites, my Giants are sporting their orange and black. Another “First Sign of Spring” is the San Francisco Giants Fan Fest at AT&T Park ushering in the start of Spring Training for baseball. The Fan Fest is filled with energy and hope. Hope that maybe this year will be the year for the Giants to win the World Series.

“Farmer’s Markets” is the theme for April’s contest (the deadline is February 2nd, if you want to enter some photos). Somehow, in all my visits to various farmer’s markets, I have no photos of the yummy fruit and vegetables from the markets. The photos I entered were recently taken at both markets in Walnut Creek. The produce in the markets now includes: citrus fruits, apples, lettuce, celery, broccoli, cauliflower and any vegetable that grows under the ground.







1 comment:

  1. Stunningly beautiful photos....really like the daffodil in the window, the colorful beets...oh, i can't forget the plump radishes and other veggies, lol.

    ReplyDelete